Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Sunday, September 19, 2004

I miss hardware stores

John and I were very handy this weekend. We fixed our broken dryer switch. Actually, John fixed it and I handed him screws and tools and held the flashlight.

But I was the one who went to the store with the one screw that hadn't vibrated out of the machine to try to buy screws that matched. There don't seem to be any hardware stores around here anymore, so I had to go to Home Depot. I hate Home Depot. It is always really crowded and noisy and has very long lines at the checkout counters. And of course, they had 5 bajillion screws, none of which were the same as my screw. Not even close.

Now, when I go to a hardware store, I want a redneck-y good ol' boy to reassure me that even if I can't find the exact screw that I need, I can buy this other screw and it will work just fine. Not some guy who knows even less about hardware than I do. , which is what I got at Home Depot.

So, I left and drove to Lowe's, where I spent another 40 minutes examining screws. They had even more screws than Home Depot. Plus, a very helpful -- although not even slightly redneck-y -- guy who assured me I could buy the pointy screws even though my screw was flat. And you know what? He was right.

But I still miss the little hardware stores.

         |