Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

My fabulous Hamptons weekend

So, I spent last weekend in the Hamptons. That makes me sound so chi-chi, doesn't it? I'm totally not, though. My friend Ariane's parents have a house out there, and we got to stay there for free.

It was a wonderful weekend. The weather was awesome, and the companionship superb. Getting together with three of your closest friends from college is the perfect antidote to three weeks of stress. We all converged on New York to celebrate my friend Ariane's shiny new clinical doctorate in physical therapy. That's Dr. Ariane to you! Plus, my friend Julie is about to have a baby. And Jules was there with her wonderful 10 month old son, Malcom. There was wine and laughter...the composition of a silly write-up for the alumnae magazine...playtime with the baby...advice about babies...more laughter...fun in the sun...and a whole lot more. All in all, a fabulous weekend.

The drive home, on the other hand, was hideous. We left the Hamptons at 10:45 am. I arrived home at 10:45 pm. Yep, that's right. 12 hours. That's T-W-E-L-V-E. The breakdown went something like this:
West Hampton Beach to the Belt Parkway: 2 hours.
Hours sent sitting on the Belt Parkway due to an accident that didn't actually seem to block any lanes: 1
Time wasted going north on the NJ Turnpike, until I said "Why are we seeing signs for the Holland Tunnel?" and then turning around: 30 minutes.
Hours spent sitting in rest stops with a sick baby, waiting in line for the worst pizza I've ever tasted, waiting in line for gas (why won't they let you pump your own gas in New Jersey?) watching Malcolm nurse, watching him throw up, and worrying about him being sick: 4
Other hours in New Jersey: 1
Time wasted sitting in line to get through stupid toll booth in Delaware: 40 minutes
Amount of time it took to get from the Maryland border to Rockville once I started driving: 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Time spent at nighttime pediatric clinic with baby: 1 hour. They were great. And very reassuring about how Malcolm was going to be ok.
Time spent getting lousy fast food dinner, medicine for Malcolm at CVS and driving home: 30 minutes

It was rough, but Jules and I actually got to spend a lot of good time talking. And I was very glad that I could be there for her when Malcolm was sick. I got to see the other, not so fun side of parenthood. And I still want kids!

         |