Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Monday, November 29, 2004

Not so fast...

So, on Thursday, I declared my Thanksgiving to be "better than I thought it would be." That was a little optimistic, considering I still had two Thanksgivings to go. On Friday we had a disastrous lunch with my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law, my nephew and my sister-in-law's husband (who shall henceforth be known as President and CEO of The Jerk Store, Inc.) They were 25 minutes late and it all went downhill from there, ending in a fight about some random topic and with my pregnant sister in law in tears.

On to dinner with my dad. He was late, too, and the dinner was just awkward. If I hadn't tried to make conversation, I think the four of us would have just sat there in silence the whole time. Oh, except for the creepy part where my dad talked about how he knows where my mom lives even though he isn't supposed to and tried to get me and my brother to confirm her address. Fun. And then John and I took my brother home and went in to hang out with my mom, who had pretty much insisted that we come by, even though we saw her for hours on Thursday. And John didn't want to be there, and he embarrassed me by showing my mom that he didn't want to be there, so we had a huge screaming fight on the way home. When we arrived at home, I classily called John an asshole at the top of my lungs for all the neighborhood to hear and tried to storm off all dramatic-like to walk the dog. Except that I was still wearing the shoes I had worn to dinner (not suited to dog walking) and Seamus was unnerved by the yelling and pulled really hard, so I fell flat on my face in the street instead. I scraped my knee and my palm, twisted my ankle and bruised my hip. It was a sucky cap to a crappy day. John and I rarely fight, so when we do, it makes us both miserable. Finally at about 2 am we made up and all was right with the world again.

I spent Saturday afternoon in Georgetown shopping with my friend Laila. It is so awesome to have her back in DC and to get to see her on a weekly basis. And Sunday was laze around the house and do laundry day, so I did get some "recover from the family" time in. Even so, I was exhausted today and couldn't focus or get anything done at work today. Thank goodness Christmas is a month away.

         |