Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Musical meme

So BMH picked me to do this meme, which actually comes as relief, cuz I've got nothing else to talk about. I have had a week that was both very busy and extremely boring. I don’t think even the most talented writer in the world could have made my week interesting or amusing. It hasn’t been particularly good or bad. Just a long slog with lots o’ crap to get done. So without further ado, the music meme:

1. Song that sounds like happy feels: My Blue Heaven

2. Earliest memory: Singing Burl Ives and Peter Paul and Mary songs with my mom. I was also a big fan of singing with the Count on Sesame Street, which is ironic given my hatred of math.

3. Last CD you bought: Concrete Blonde Live in Brazil, which was a disappointment.

4. Reminds you of school:
Elementary School: This one is sad, but one of the teachers died when I was in 4th grade, and they sent us home early. I remember hearing Kenny Rogers’ the Gambler on the bus on the way home. I also remember hearing Kiss and Pink Floyd.

Junior High: Duran Duran and Prince (Purple Rain)

High School: The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Depeche Mode, the Clash, the Jam, Madness, the Police, 10,000 Maniacs, and REM. This list could go on for hours, so I’ll stop now.

College: Nirvana, Jane’s Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, Red Hot Chili Peppers, various local Boston bands, Melissa Ethridge, Patsy Cline, Aretha Franklin, BB King and Led Zeppelin.

5. Total music files on your PC: That are mine? Not even one. I have no idea how to download a song. My husband, on the other hand, has about 15 bazillion.

6. Song for listening to repeatedly when depressed: Bonnie Raitt -- I Can’t Make You Love Me. Also, Kasey Chambers -- Water in the Fuel. And in my dramatic teenage years, Blasephemous Rumors by Depeche Mode.

7. Song that sounds British, but isn't: Lunatic Fringe, Red Rider
8. Song you love, band you hate: I don’t really hate them, but I’m not a huge fan – Ripple by the Grateful Dead.

9. A favorite song from the past that took ages to track down: Man on the Corner, by Genesis from the album Abacab. I insisted I remembered this song from the 80’s. My friends said I was making it up. One day, one of them heard it on the radio, and I was vindicated!

10. Bought the album for one good song: I’m sure there’s more than one, but I can’t come up with a single example.

11. Worst Song to Get Stuck in your Head: Oh, there are so many. I’m going to go with Lovin’ You by Minnie Ripperton.

12. Best song to dump a beer on someone's head to, then storm out of the bar? All I can come up with for this one is Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Gimme Three Steps. Which is about running out of a bar, but not storming. Or maybe Chain of Fools.

13. Who should do this next? I'm going to say Claire, and Mylissa. I haven't seen either of them do a meme in a while.

         |