Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Wild Night

Thursday night was awesome. I was up way past my bed time with two of my best friends in the whole world – Jules and Laila. There was flinging of food, singing, wrestling, nudity, and someone peed in a corner. Were we partying with rock stars? Nope. We were hanging out with toddlers. Replace peeing in the corner with puking and you’ve got a description of many a night from our college years …but times have changed.

Jules was passing through town on her way back up the coast, so we all gathered at Laila’s for the evening. The toddlers were Jules’ little boy Malcolm and Laila’s son Noah. We got the kids fed, and then they ran around the kitchen while we ate. And then we played hide & seek, toddler style, ran around the island in the kitchen a bunch of times, took all of the toys out of the cabinet and then put them all back in, had little tiny ice cream sandwiches, and climbed on chairs. I refereed a fight over a toy. The kids enjoyed running around naked. I learned that toddlers are very fond of the words “no!” and “mine!” Plus they are very dramatic, but luckily, also easily distracted.

After the kids went to bed, the three of us sat around and gabbed. It was a wonderful night. They only way it could have been better would have been if I had a kid of my own running around with Malcolm and Noah. Well, that, and if it could be a regularly occurring kind of evening. But Jules lives in New Hampshire now, and I’m pretty sure Laila is going to go back to California. I miss my friends when they are far away. And it makes me sad that I’m not going to be a part of Malcolm and Noah’s lives except on an occasional basis. But at least we got in one more wild night together.

         |