Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Friday, March 04, 2005

He's a prodigy, my boy is

A prodigy at destruction, that is. John’s mom had surgery today. For some reason, they make you get to the hospital insanely early when you have surgery, so we had to get up at 4:45 am to drive her to the hospital. It goes against everything I believe in to be up that early, unless I am still up from the night before – and now that I am old and boring, I never roll in as the sun comes up anymore. However, this morning did go better than when my dad had his bypass surgery. That time I walked into a tree branch while out with the dog and gave myself a black eye. It’s genetic. My mom pulled a thermos down on her face and gave herself a black eye that same morning. People thought we got into a fist fight.

But I digress. This post is actually about Mr. Seamus and what a destructive genius he is. I wish I could post a photo of him so you could see what a sweet, innocent little beagle boy he appears to be (and is, most of the time). And then I could post a photo of the carnage he is capable of producing. Because this morning we disrupted his routine, and he is not a happy little dog when we deviate from his usual schedule. We knew he’d be freaked out this morning, but he outdid himself this time. He got into the trash. He shredded a bunch of newspapers in a recycling bag. And then there was the piece de resistance. He figured out how to open the refrigerator door and pulled out some cheese and a piece of cheesecake and left them on the floor. Not exactly what I wanted to come home to, but at the same time, you have to be impressed by his ingenuity and intelligence.

Oh, and John’s mom is doing well. More tales of our hospital misadventures coming tomorrow, after I've had a chance to get some sleep. At least this time I didn't give myself a black eye.

         |