Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Good News/Bad News

All is well with the house. It passed the extremely thorough inspection with flying colors! And we locked in the interest rate on our mortgage. Now we’re looking for new living room furniture.

On the reproductive front, I had an HSG test, where they shoot dye into your reproductive system and take an x-ray to look for trouble. There are people all over the internet who say it is very painful, but I didn’t think it was that bad.

It was still unsettling though. My doctor was late, of course. Then the techs got snippy with each other. Then the radiologist came in, and started barking orders and muttering– turn to the left, lift your hip, I can’t see, that’s just spillage, push more dye in, your right fallopian tube is blocked. Push more dye in, yep, the right side is completely blocked.

Wait, what?

And then my doctor says “the preliminary results show your right fallopian tube is blocked. We’ll talk about the final results tomorrow.” And leaves, along with the radiologist. Which left me alone on the table, feeling just a little bewildered.

So naturally, I went straight back to my office and spent the next hour looking up “blocked fallopian tube” on the internet, which was a mistake and a half. According to the Internet:
a) my only hope of getting pregnant is IVF

b) no, no, now I won’t need any treatment, because the dye from the HSG will have blasted open any blockage and I’ll get pregnant in the next three months

c) I have to have a laparoscopy to get the tube unblocked.

d) Recovery from said laparoscopy will take a) 3-4 hours, b) 3 to 4 days, or c) 3 to 4 weeks

e) No, what I need is Clomid (ok, I can maybe see this helping me, with my one open tube)

f) Actually the best treatment is IUI ( I really don’t get that one)

g) No, I should go with this non-invasive treatment that will magically unblock the fallopian tube

Sometimes the internet is not your friend. And do you know what the worst part is? I still don’t have any answers. I went to see the doctor to go over all of the results from the eleventy-bajillion tests we’ve done recently. I waited forever, and finally had to leave without getting to talk to her because we had to go to the house inspection. So frustrating! I’ll track her down this week, but thank goodness I’m still riding that house-buying high, or I would have been a wreck the last few days.

         |