Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Monday, May 02, 2005

Happenings

I wish I had time to post separately about all of these topics, but I don’t. Perhaps I should switch to the Television Without Pity style where I give you short recaps right away and then post a longer writeup later! Anyway, here are just a few of the events of the last few days.

1. My niece has arrived! No, I have not finished knitting her baby blanket yet. I have, however, purchased one very adorable outfit for her and a Winnie the Pooh racing car set for my nephew. My niece’s name is Josephine Nora Marguerite, and she was born weighing 8 pounds, 4 ounces in the middle of a snowstorm in Colorado last week. My poor sister-in-law went to the hospital in labor, got sent home because her contractions slowed down, and then barely made it back in time to have Josephine in the hospital. It sounds like it was quite scary at times, but it all turned out ok in the end. And my sister-in-law has a hell of a birth story to tell now.

2. John and I bought couches for our new living room. I have learned that furniture salesmen (and women) can be quite scary. You walk in the store, and they swoop down like vultures! The guy who got our business had really good prices and left us the fuck alone so we could make up our minds. Our new couches aren’t very exciting looking, but they are nice and comfortable. Now we’re on to discussing paint colors. That’s where I will get to be bold.

3. Laila and I went to dinner and to see the movie Sin City. That is one sick and disturbing movie. I have seen some fairly twisted and violent movies in my time, but this one had several scenes that really got to me. I didn’t hate it, but I kind of wish I hadn’t seen it. Also, Elijah Wood’s character seriously creeped me out. I hope this doesn’t ruin the Lord of the Rings movies for me.

4. I learned that fertility drugs are not covered by insurance. Was it naïve for me to think they would be? I don’t know. I think they should be, but then again, I’m one of those crazy pinko types who believe we should have socialized medicine. Not only are the drugs not covered, they are damn expensive. So everybody please root for my left ovary to respond to the drugs. That’s L-E-F-T. I’m working on some sort of left ovary gang sign people can flash to encourage it to respond – I’ll let you know how that works out.

Also, just in case we can’t depend on the left ovary, has anyone used drugstore.com? Their prices for the same drugs are quite a bit lower than my local pharmacy, and I’d like to be prepared for next time.

5. And finally, I took the “what type of Jedi are you?” quiz, and I am happy to announce that I am a Yoda-like Jedi Master. Not Yoda though. I’m short, but not that short – and not green. May the force be with you all.

         |