Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Sunday, June 05, 2005

What kind of tree would you be?

So, days ago Bluepoppy had this idea where she would interview people, and they would answer her questions on their blogs and then they would, in turn, interview people who asked to be interviewed, and so on. And I was all eager “pick me! Interview me!” and then I did nothing with the questions she sent me for days, because I am lame. Also, I got lost in a huge stack of boxes in my dining room and couldn’t find my way back to the computer for a couple of days. But, without further ado, here are my Bluepoppy questions and my answers. If you want to play, I’ve posted the official rules at the end.

1. What was your best movie experience ever?
This is actually a very tough question to answer. I couldn’t decide if it meant what is the best movie I’ve ever seen, or what is the best time I’ve ever had at the movies. And really, those are two very different things. Plus, I’m not sure that the best movie I’ve ever seen is. I can’t pick just one. But my favorite movie memory is probably of the first time I ever went to the movies. It is one of my earliest memories too, although not the earliest. My mom took me and my best friend Suzie Gallagher to see a theater release of Snow White (we didn’t have VCRs back in the Stone Age – they came along a few years later) and I remember being so awed by the whole experience. It was magical and exciting, and Snow White was beautiful and everyone sang songs and the evil witch was defeated by the dwarves. Plus, they showed a little short before the main feature about a girl stuck in an avalanche, and her name was Suzie, just like my best friend! So cool. See, Disney movies aren’t always scarring to the developing psyche of a little girl.

2. If you could go back in time to visit a different time/place,
where would you go and why? And, how long would you stay there?

Paris in the 1880’s-1890’s. There was so much happening – the Eiffel Tower, the building of the Metro, the art scene, the writers, the political thinkers. As for how long I would stay…I don’t know. It would all depend on how much I missed my regular life, I suppose. Or how dirty and smelly 19th century Europe was. I do like my modern conveniences.

3. What's your favorite curse word? Consarnit! No, not really. Fuck, probably. It’s just an all around reliable standard curse word. Although you should never underestimate the value of a good “rats!”

4. What are 3 classes you wish you had taken either in high school or college? A lit class. I don’t know as much about the classics as I should. Definitely some sort of media or film class, although they didn’t offer all that much in that area of study when I was at Wellesley. I hear they’ve changed that now. And this isn’t really a class, but it is a school-related regret – I really wish I had done a semester abroad when I was in college. I think I missed out by staying at school for the whole four years.

5. What do you think this country (USA) will look like 30 years from now?

My answer to this one really depends on the day. Sometimes it feels like we’re headed toward some Margaret Atwood Handmaid’s Tale type future, where the conservatives have restricted everyone’s lives to fit their narrow world view. A world where the environment is trashed, resources are scarce, women, gays and religious minorities are oppressed and the rich live obscenely profligate and irresponsible lives. Where America is a truly fascist country that is hated by the rest of the planet and contributes nothing to the betterment of humankind. That’s on my more pessimistic days.

And then other days I think that we can only do better from here. I’d like to believe that we can get back to a place where Americans are the good guys again. Where we are a force for peace in the world, and provide a positive model for change. Where we have an open and innovative society – a society that values and cares for all of its members. Of course, sometimes I’m a little overly optimistic.

Then again, in 30 years, I may have given up and moved to Canada.

The Official Interview Game Rules
1. If you want to participate, leave a comment saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal/blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

         |